Ukrainian-American Birth Defects Program
"Woman's Health" Round Table Session
Dr. L. Yevtushok,
UABDP Medical Director
On January 30, 2002 the Women Union in Rivne organized and held the round table session under the title "Woman's Health". Over 50 women took part in the session. Among them there were teachers, medical workers, businesswomen, and Rivne journalists.
Following problems were analyzed:
- Women' mortality and illnesses.
- Comedocarcinoma diagnosis and prevention.
- Sexually transmitted infections.
- Population reproductive health.
- Neural tube defects and other birth defects prevention using folic acid.
The Round Table Presidium
The speakers were:
- Dr. P. Yakymchuk - Rivne Regional Oncologic Dispensary mammologist.
- Dr. N. Manyak - chief doctor of the Rivne Regional Venereologic Dispensary.
- Dr. H. Chayka - chief of the Rivne Delivery Department #2.
- Dr. L. Yevtushok - chief of the medical - genetic consultation, Ukrainian-American Birth Defects Program (UABDP) medical director.
A lot of the participants took part in the discussion, among them were Dr. M. Dumanovska (deputy chief of the Rivne State Health Administration concerning motherhood and childhood problems) and Mrs. M. Rozhko (chief of the Women Union in Rivne). Mrs. M. Rozhko underlined the great importance and response to the education action, which was held together with the Ukrainian Alliance for the Prevention of birth defects in November 2001 in the Rivne ZAHS (marriage registration institution).
Participants of the Round Table
The Round table resulted in the accepted resolution that included such propositions and appeals to Rivne authorities as:
- Measures to prevent anemia deficiency.
- Financing of the PKU and congenital hypothyrosis screening programs.
- Studying the problem of women invalidity.
- Holding the wide - spread educative action concerning problems, which were discussed during the session (comedocarcioma, sexually transmitted infections, state of reproductive health).
- Introduce into the school valeology program the theme of prevention of the reproductive diseases.
- Recommend all women of the reproductive age to take 0,4 mg of folic acid daily.
- Establish the city program of Recurrent neural tube defects prevention:
- assign from the city budget 420 hryvnyas annually to purchase the year needs of folic acid for the recurrent neural tube defects high-risk women;
- include into the Program the Family Planning Center and the Department of Reproductive Health;
- recommend to high-risk women of recurrent birth of children with neural tube defects to increase the folic acid intake to 4 mg daily in case they are planning a new pregnancy.
- Prepare an appeal to the Cabinet of Ministry of Ukraine with the proposition to establish the food fortification with folic acid in Ukraine taking into account the folic acid food fortification experience (first of all of flour) of the high-developed countries with the aim of neural tube defects and other diseases prevention, and supporting the Declaration of the Rivne Regional State Administration Head concerning fortification.
- Hold in Rivne wide education campaign concerning preventive folic acid use. Highlight the problem systematically in local press; prepare short video information on the local television about neural tube defects prevention with folic acid, which should be demonstrated every day; prepare audio information for local radio station about folic acid preventive use; start the Ukrainian Alliance for the Prevention of Birth Defects column in the local newspaper "Seven days" for publishing birth defects prevention materials (information support will be given by the Ukrainian-American Birth Defects Program).
- Address the Regional Family and Youth Problems Administration with the proposition:
- start an education program "With folic acid to harmony of life without birth defects";
- find funds for implementing the regional neural tube defects prevention program for women of high-risk group (it is necessary 3000 hryvnyas per year to purchase the necessary amount of folic acid);
- promote the Ukrainian Alliance for the Prevention of Birth Defects in creation of the affected children parents support organizations.
This site offers information
mostly for educational purposes. This site is not intended to alter health
care protocols nor to serve as a sole source of medical information.
Please read full disclaimer.
Always seek the advice of your local health care provider.
Copyright 1998 - 2002
All rights reserved.
Site Concept: W. W., S. L. | Page Content: L. Yevtushok, M. D.